Leo Ehrhardt Central Park
Mr. Leo Ehrhardt came to Simmesport during the building of the Simmesport railway bridge over the Atchafalaya River. While here he married Ms. Elanor Roberts, a Simmesport native, who he stayed with his entire life. After moving away briefly, Mr. Leo and Mrs. Elanor moved back to Simmesport in 1936. He opened a business on Old Highway 1.
Over the next 52 yeHe was elected to his first term as Mayor of Simmesport in 1940. For 52 years after that election, Mr. Ehrhardt was elected as Mayor for every term but three. When he decided to not seek reelection in 1992, Mr Leo Ehrhardt ended a 40-year stint as Mayor of Simmesport. Although he passed away in 1997, Mr. Leo’s presence is still felt in and out of Simmesport to this day.
On May 31, 2017, twenty years after his death, Mayor Leslie Draper, III and the Simmesport town council renamed a park in the center of the town as Leo Ehrhardt Central Park in honor of the long-time mayor. The Park is across Mission Dr. from the Town Hall and makes up 2.25 acres of wonderful space for public use.
The Town of Simmesport will be planning the dedication of this park in the coming months. At the January, 2018 Town Council Meeting the Mayor Draper presented to the Council possible plans for the park. This presentation can be seen in the link below. We would invite the public to comment and make suggestions about the development of the park. We will publish regular updates on events and happenings here and on our Facebook page.